Sunday, 1 February 2015

Final Flatplan for Digipak


 
 
 
This is my final flat plan design. the top image shows the way it would appear when printed on one image, and the second showing the breakdown arrangement of my design. I decided to have the front cover displaying the clock with the two figures centred in the black darkness of the burn. Choosing this design for the cover displays the burning of time, burning the timescale this relationship  consists on, and therefore reveals the void behind in which the male and female stand together but not holding hands. As the clock and concept of time going in reverse is significant to the music video I have made, displaying the clock would only make sense. However the clock featuring in my video at the moment is not in the shape of the old traditional alarm clock I have featured on the cover. If I used the existing one the signs and codes telling the audience the object is a clock wouldn't be so clear, as the burn would remove most of the clock face and give the appearance of perhaps a magnifying glass. Therefore to keep this design for my digipak to still relate to my video, I have decided to go back and change clock within my video so it films a time laps of a clock similar to this design.
 
I have chosen to include the love equation on the middle opening panel. It consistently uses the same figures as the cover in a simple design relating to the breakdown of love. The colouring of the figures not only show the stereotypical colours relating to gender, but relate to the people they signify. The girl in red should convey passion and love, yet also demonstrate that she is the danger in the relationship, with her being the one causing the breakup in the video. The guy on the other hand conveys the blue emotion, feeling depressed and alone because of the girl.  This representation is also stereotypical of a heterosexual relationship, relating to the video and a selection of listeners.
 
For the insides I have included a burn circle where the CD will be placed, including a quote from the song chosen for my video. Again this relates to the male and female figures on the previous sides. It also appears to be the burn is revealing the downfall in the relationship, saying "she didn't say you were the first, she didn't say you were the last one tonight", referencing the destruction the girl gives the relationship.
 
For the rest I have followed conventions of digipak designs and related it to my genre. The back clearly displays song titles with logos and barcode placed at the bottom so the music is till the main attention. A clear title of the self-titled album is placed along the spine as well, making it visible what album it is at all angles. Overall my minimalist design will demonstrate the music of my indie band, having motifs that relate to the music video its trying to promote. Also the choice to have a sans serif font throughout the digipak and for the band logo will add to this simplicity. I think my research into indie album covers influenced me greatly for designing, choosing to go with something simple but effective that will still sell the band. 

No comments:

Post a Comment