Sunday, 7 December 2014

Editing my video: stage 2



Once I had edited the main narrative of my story together it came to including the performance part of my video. These shots would display the lead singer the same male figure in the music video, as well as a trumpet player and drummer. I had organised these to be shot in front of a plain white background so the main focus was the band playing, which would contrast with the busy nature and locations of all the other narrative scenes.

 Whilst filming my band I wanted to experiment with two ways of filming the song being performed. The first would include the song being sung at normal speed with the instruments playing at the same time too. However, I also wanted to shoot a version that would play around with motion control. Previously I experimented with motion control, that changed the speed of the actions but once edited would still be in synch with the music. In audacity before the shoot, I sped up the original track 75% of its original speed that I then played to my band when being filmed. This way they played the instruments and sang at double speed, giving me the freedom to slow their movement down in post editing, which would still synch up to the song but would create an effective style of filming.

 

This worked successfully in shooting, and now it came to adding it over my narrative. I started by copying the track and putting alongside the rest of my editing. I then imported the video and put it video 1, unlinking the sound as this was no longer needed. At this point the video was much shorter than the track and so the speed needed to be altered.


 
By right clicking on the video on the time line I could then select speed/ duration to change the length of the footage and slow it down.

 
From previous test footage, for a video increased by 75% the speed of the video should then be increased by 50-60%. This took a bit of experimenting to get the vocals to link up exactly with the video, yet I finally found 57.5% linked the two together perfectly.


Pressing Ok then required the file to be rendered. After a few minutes this was complete and the video was ready to be placed amongst the narrative of what I'd already edited.


By knowing the speed needed to make the video work in the audio, I could adjust some of the other footage taken in this style to add a variety of angles and close ups to the performance shots.


Using the cutting tool, I could then take out specific parts of the song I liked and place them in amongst the rest of the footage. This would not disturb the rest of the video, and that way I could keep going back to it if there were other parts I preferred. Also by keeping the rest there I could work out the exact times in the song against the timeline, which I could then put in the same place in my official video.


Using video 4, I could then overlay this on top of the rest of my footage, decreasing the length of some of the shots within the park as well as other points in the video.



Including the performance parts of my video relates to Jon Gows's theory of music videos, my video now falling under the category of 'Enhanced Performance' that demonstrates performance elements alongside a narrative, in which the main singer in the band acts as the main character in the plot. By filming two versions of the song being performed, I could experiment further with the effects of the video to create interesting visuals alongside the narrative that would soon be turned backwards. By including the main band member in the narrative, it illustrates to the audience these are the experiences the main band member has been through, and can be expressed and understood by the people who watch it and have been in similar positions. In doing this I am considering my target audience, knowing people fond of an indie genre can relate to not only the lyrics, but the visuals going with them that demonstrate indie themes in what they are wearing, the instruments they're playing and the emotions conveyed within the video.

No comments:

Post a Comment