Monday, 22 September 2014

Music Video Practical Production Treatment: Stay Awake by The House of the Old Boat



This is the basic outline as to what my music video will look like. Here I list the visuals in conjunction with the lyrics, and as to how they may be filmed. It also differentiates between the narrative part of the video and the performance aspect of the band. I also give times throughout the song as to changes in scenes or locations. At the moment this is only a simple structure as to what my video will look like. Later I will plan each individual shots through a story board, but this acts as a structure as to the ideas and visuals I want to include.

The main story as part of the narrative I will get across to the audience will be the breakdown of a relationship. In chronological order, this will show a guy and girl meeting at school, going to a party together and becoming closer. Then we will see them on a date in a cafĂ©, a beginning of a relationship forming. Through images of them singing with a record player in a garden or bedroom, it will show they are at the peak of happiness in their relationship. However there will then be in an introduction of another guy, in which the girl comes closer to and pushes her so called boyfriend away. We will see shots of them socialising with the existing boyfriend awkwardly behind, followed by numerous un replied texts from the girl. The boyfriend will then plan a surprise visit to his girlfriend at her house, but in doing so, will find her and this new guy making out. In frustration he will storm out of the house, this image followed by a sequence of shot of an argument between them and then the burning of a photo of the two of them. The end of the story will focus on the two at a park bench, in an emotional but uncomfortable situation of them parting ways.

However in my video I will use this story but portray it backwards, therefore starting with the broken relationship with visuals that pick up the pieces to see where it all went wrong. This is the reason my video practical production treatment shows it in the reverse order.

1 comment: